Skip to main content
DistrictCampus
CAMPUS

History

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Elodia R. Chapa Elementary School was established on May 21, 1994. The Board of Trustees of La Joya Independent School District dedicated this elementary school in honor of Mrs. Elodia R. Chapa.  

Elodia R. Chapa was born in San Marcos, Texas on July 28, 1915. She was married to David Chapa, Jr. and was later blessed with three sons, Amancio, Mario and Jorge.

Elodia R. Chapa was amongst the first Hispanic females to receive her B. A. degree from Southwest Texas State in San Marcos, Texas. Mrs. Chapa later began her education career in Peñitas, Texas.  

Mrs. Chapa was committed to her profession as an educator and believed in the importance of continuously having a positive outlook on life, striving to be the best she could be.  Former students describe Mrs. Chapa as a beautiful, sweet and thoughtful person who loved life and attributed her zest for life to the pursuit of knowledge. Mrs. Chapa will always be remembered for believing that every day was a new opportunity to learn and that the education community was a place where “Kids Come First!”